If you’re a regular around here, you know me pretty well. Did you know, however, that during this time of paring back on writing while I wait on my hand to heal, that I’m using this extra time to pray for you even more? Well now you do.
And here’s the thing. Usually you hear a lot about me and what God’s showing me in my life, but I desperately want to know each of you more. Whether we know each other virtually or in person, there’s always more that we can learn about each other. So will you humor me for a few minutes? Will you take a couple of minutes and participate in this old-school survey kind of like what we used to fill out in our high school days? Pretty please? For me? Either in a comment, on your own blog (just be sure to leave a comment with the link), on Facebook, or if you’re more of a private person, via email. The point is we both get to know each other better, and this is a fun way to do it.
If this is your first time here at Exceptionally Average, welcome! I can’t think of a better way for us to get acquainted than through this equally dorky and awesome method.
My Favorite Things: Books Edition
*Disclaimers: 1) The links below are my affiliate links. I mostly included them so you can see pictures of the books because I like to see book covers when people talk about them. On the off chance you choose to purchase one of the books through these links, I will make a small commission.
2) The Bible is my favorite book. Obviously it is my source of life, inspiration, learning, hope, growth, and answers. But I’m not using it as any of my answers here so you can know what other books I like. Also, as much as I love Sunday school (I really do!), I don’t want to start a chain reaction of “Sunday school” answers.
1. Favorite classic fiction book: To Kill a Mockingbird by Harper Lee (I recently learned Miss Lee is writing a new novel. I am so excited!!!!!)
2. Favorite Christian fiction book: Redeeming Love by Francine Rivers
3. Favorite contemporary fiction book: The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins (Side note: I can’t make myself read too much depressing stuff at once, so I only read the summaries of the next two books so I could find out the important details – like if and who Katniss chose to marry. Haha!)
4. Favorite nonfiction book: Dancing on my Ashes by Heather Gilion and Holly Snell (Fun fact: One of the sisters who wrote this book lives close to me, so I kind of made a point to show up at Panera when she was there so I could meet her. She encouraged me so much as a woman and a writer.)
5. Favorite parenting book: Shepherding a Child’s Heart by Tedd Tripp (Most parenting books make me feel awful or frustrated because we aren’t living out the “perfect formula,” but this one was both helpful and encouraging to me.)
6. Favorite Bible study: A tie between The Patriarchs by Beth Moore and Duty or Delight? by Tammie Head
7. Book(s) I’m currently reading: You Are a Writer by Jeff Goins and Not a Fan by Kyle Idleman
8. Favorite children’s book: You Are Special by Max Lucado
9. Book that made me cry the most: Ever After by Karen Kingsbury
10. Favorite movie based on a book: Anne of Green Gables by L.M. Montgomery
Now it’s your turn! What are your favorite things when it comes to books? If you don’t have time to answer all ten, pick at least three and share them with me somewhere! Also share any prayer requests you may have. I would love to pray about your specific burdens and needs.
If you’re new to this site, thanks so much for stopping by! I would love to have you as a part of this humble little community of women who want to find the exceptional power of God in our otherwise average lives. If you would like to receive updates when I add new posts, you can like my Facebook page, subscribe to my RSS feed, or receive new posts by email. You can also find all of these options easily by going to my home page and clicking on the appropriate icon located in the right side bar.